"There is only one journey: going inside yourself." -Rainer Maria Rilke

Since the blog title "Blahhhg" was already used (I am feeling yucky), I had to look for a new one. This one fits and at no other time in my life is this quote more relevant than now.

Since my last post, I have gotten slightly more than a double dose of chemo. In addition to my regular mocktail ('cause it's not as much fun as an actual cocktail), my oncology team added another week of chemo. This additional week of chemo is called High-Dose Methotrexate. This means that out of every four weeks of the month, I am having chemo infused for two of those weeks through June. High Dose Methotrexate, for the blissfully uninitiated, is essentially a drug that, when infused goes straight to your organs. Once a certain toxicity is reached, you take a "rescue" drug called Leukovorin, which releases the toxins from your soft tissue organs, and leaves it behind on the hard tissue (or bone) cancers.

There are a few side effects, one is early-onset menopause. I like to say that I am still hot, it just comes in flashes now. Which I only say that when I am not swearing about it. The most painful side effect by far is mouth sores. They are like blistery, open craters in your mouth. It hurts to talk, eat, water burns terribly, even doing nothing hurts. I have them in spades. I am also still on IV fluids. Happily, my local oncology department has set me up with home IV, so I don't have to be at the hospital anymore than I already am.

Not being physically comfortable speaking, along with being neutropenic (see blog post Neutropenia is not a Dog Food), and on IV meds, means I don't leave the house - not that I have the energy to go anywhere anyway. I have stopped reading for now, because it takes too much energy to hold the blasted book. Thus the journey within, as described in the title. This was already a journey within, starting when the Orthopedic Oncologist told me that if they amputated my leg with the cancer in it, I would still likely die of cancer, unless they treat my whole body as if the cancer had spread. This proclamation was followed directly by a visit to the Pediatric Day Hospital, where I am treated. Being surrounded by children fighting the same fight - and looking worse for wear, really hits home that life is so delicate and can turn on a dime.

Many of my posts include a spiritual component. You cannot fight this battle, or be on the battlefield seeing what we (John and I) see without journeying deeper in your own soul. Mostly because for me, my soul hurts - physically hurts to see what we see. What's more -really more- is to see people looking at me and seeing the battle on my own face and body. I am not sure yet which affects me more, those that look at me or those who look away.

There is an old riddle that is not really a joke:
Q. Why are there so many old people at church?
A. They are studying for their final exam.
I know, not that funny, but it occurs to be that older people are, in a way, in the same boat - they see a lot of death, thus making them face their own death, reviewing their own consciences, and especially considering deeply their own relationship with God.

I named this blog Cancerviver: My Strange Journey with Osteosarcoma. Breaking it down -Cancer being part one, vive (to live) add the "r" on it and you have CAN SURVIVE HER. I and my doctors believe wholeheartedly that I can survive this cancer. If I were to rename this blog, I would change the 'Strange Journey' part to 'Spiritual Journey.' My journey is not a singular one, I have a husband and family that I couldn't dream to be better, friends, and even strangers who remind me -through their words and deeds- that God is with me -through me and through others.

Comments

  1. Ann my heart aches for you and your family. I pray that the day will soon come that you can put all of this behind you. Know that you are in our prayers always. God Bless you and the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cosha! That day will come - thanks to prayers and the faithfulness of those praying! Thank you for seeing us through this with your prayers and encouragement.
    Love You!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard to wrap my mind around all that you endure and still manage
    to not only write about your experience but to do so with faith & humor.
    You are an inspiration in how to persevere when faced with life threatening illness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will never look away from your beauty, Ann. I wish i could shoulder your pain so that u could not feel so bad....mouth sores suck.....hopefully, well i'm sure, they are giving you ideas or things to rinse about? I guess popsicles are not something that may help?
    Prayers for the pain, prayers for the cancer be gone (soon!!), prayers for you and your loving family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for your thoughts. I can only think I am not worthy.

    @Joanna - mouth sores are horrid! You can't talk, eat, it even hurts doing nothing at all. I have a couple of prescriptions that have helped, one is a lidocaine rinse (same stuff you get injected with for dental surgery), Miles Mixture - which doesn't help with pain, but it is antiseptic so they don't get infected, GelClair which is supposed to coat and protect- I don't think it helps, but I'm afraid to not do it in case it is helping, and finally a baking soda/salt mixture to rinse with after I eat. Popsicles are my life right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've known no more courageous person in my life Ann... I'm upping the prayer contribution to 5 times starting tonight.... You are in our thoughts daily, and now flood our subconscience with your example, determination and great love as you so have expressed on each posting. While spring comes afresh, we too pray that you too can find new strength in your recovery, and we can share that fun cocktail one day soon with you and John.... I often think about Grace and how she is holding up, but I'm confident of her courage and love for you two.... I'm coming back to fish and would love to take her many more times this summer.... xoxoxo Colt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Colt, I am so grateful for your friendship and prayers. Thank you so much for being with us through this.

    It is so great to see water in place of ice, and the streams running fast with melting snow! All of that is making Gracie anxious to get fly fishing with you! She has even learned to tie her own flies! It will be a great distraction for her.

    Thank you again, your love and support is so appreciated.

    Love,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts