Neutropenia is Not A Dog Food

The first time I heard the word Neutropenia, I thought it sounded like a new, expensive dog food.  I was mostly wrong and a little right.

In the weeks following chemo, there are at least two visits to the Lab per week for a CBC (complete blood count).  The results of the CBC show the toll the chemo has taken on every aspect of my personal chemistry from albumin (still don't know what this is) to white cell count (definitely know what this is).  The results of the lab work determine my fate for the immediate future.  For example, if my platelet count is low, a platelet transfusion is in my very near future, ditto for red blood, electrolytes, etc..  Mercifully, I have not had to be transfused with anything as yet, knock on wood.*

For people who are undergoing high levels of chemotherapy, Neutropenia is a dreaded state of affairs.  Neutrophils are 'ninja' white blood cells that fight infection.  Chemo massively reduces your Neutrophil Ninjas, making you very susceptible to bacterial infections.  Any cancer patient with a fever above 100.4 degrees gets a bed in a hospital -STAT.  As soon as you are admitted, you are started on IV antibiotics.  If your fever does not subside within 12-24 hours, ID comes in.  These are the Infectious Disease experts whose job it is to determine the source of the infection so it can be addressed directly.  This wildly unappealing state of affairs is called Neutropenic Fever.

My blood has shown Neutropenia before, but I have mercifully not had a fever (knock on wood)!  Every family member vigilantly takes my temperature and hand sanitizes regularly just to be sure.  To prevent infection when this particular count is low - I am not allowed the following:

  • fresh or dried fruits (thick skinned oranges are ok)
  • fresh vegetables (incl. salads)
  • deli meats
  • anything cooked less than well-done
  • cheese :0(
  • pepper
  • bakery items
  • honey
  • sushi
  • manicures or pedicures
  • flossing - I know, right?  Evidently, your mouth has so much bacteria, flossing can give that bacteria a direct line to your blood stream.  
  • No buffets, salad bars or potlucks (for the rest of my life, not just while neutropenic -I'm ok with this aspect)
Funny enough, I can have pizza, but have to order it uncut since the restaurant pizza slicer picks up bacteria.  I call this the '70's diet, since nothing is 'good for you' unless it comes from a can, is over-cooked or is way-processed.  This is the expensive dog food part where I feel I was kind-of right, since there is some resemblance to above. 

Since the Neutrophil Ninjas have gone AWOL during this time, I don't leave the house and carefully screen anyone who is stopping by.  We stop short of outfitting guests with Haz-Mat suits, but no shoes in the house, and a solid dose of hand sanitizer is required.  In the week post-chemo I am too exhausted to do much more than shower anyway, so it kind of works out.  

I am so relieved we have been able to avoid the drama of a hospital stay thus far.  I am sure it is due to being very careful, but mostly prayer - lots of it!  Thank you for your very kind generosity of prayer and love.  It has made this yellow-ish brick road full of happy and humbling surprises for which I am extremely grateful.



*I just heard that the phrase "knock on wood" is actually a prayer.  Knocking on wood refers to the wood of The Cross, and knocking three times is asking the Father, Son and Holy Spirit to hear and answer your prayer.  Love that!

Comments

  1. Ann,
    God bless you. Prayers and thoughts with you for your healing. I did not know about the phrase "knock on wood" having that meaning. Thank you for educating me. I will use it as a prayer now.

    My Love,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, you have a wonderful way with words. You should be writing for money!! Did not know the Knock on wood meaning. It will always be a prayer now. God Bless you and you are in my prayers every day and in my online Rosary.
    Love Cosha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your faith, courage, and humor are such an inspiration. You are in my prayers everyday and may Monday's scan be clear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann - can you imagine? I have always said,"Knock on wood," and never knew that it meant the wood of the cross. My Jewish grandmother would not be happy if she knew that.

    And even though I am born Jewish too - Michael and I will be knocking on a lot of wood, thinking of you today. God bless!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts