The Swimmer

When in NYC, and nausea-free, we like to go to a restaurant called Artisanal.  The food is French, and they have a legit fromagerie, which pleases our Grace to no end.  What I really like though, is the art.  There is a huge painting (c. 1926) that was brought over from a train station bistro in Amiens, France.  It is called La Baigneuse, or The Swimmer.  

Every time I see this painting, I see myself.  The first time I saw it six years ago, I was having lunch after apprenticing with some brilliant floral and event designers.  I was starting my own floral and event company, and felt I was standing where the girl is - on the precipice of a cliff, blue sky above, about to jump -confident, excited, scared, naked, into the water below.  

Over the years of visiting this painting....I mean restaurant, the painting always felt like a mirror - from getting my first big event, to celebrating the conclusion of my last very big wedding, and then recently when I was diagnosed with cancer.  Except for being anxious and not excited about the last one, the adjectives were the same; vulnerable, confident, scared, naked.  The painting silently said  everything.  Today, the night before this surgery that will take out the cancer, and a few of my leg bones with it, it was again a reflection:

Naked - I am pretty sure I don't get to wear my jammies for the occasion.  Aside from the literal sense of the word naked, I don't have my wedding ring on for the first time in 23 1/2 years.  

Vulnerable - I have no control over anything my body does for nine hours, including breathing.  Plus, essential (though diseased) body parts are being removed from my person.  My life and leg is very clearly going to be in someone else's hands.

Scared - see above.

Confident - Between my giant sturdy tree (John and my family) standing with me, the Chief of Surgery on my team (albeit standing over me with a knife), and the prayers of many (including my own incessant badgering of the saints), I am confident that the surgery will be a success.  

I was reminded recently that although cancer is an overwhelming fight sometimes, I can't lose sight that every person is doing battle of some kind.  It is even true of 'my' painting.  La Baigneuse witnessed the occupation of the Germans in that bistro in France in 1940.  At which time, I am sure France felt very much like the bather in the painting. A much more drastic and trepidatious state of affairs than my own.  

Ciff jump-off time tomorrow is at 7am.  MSK called to inform me that I am the first 'case' and to be there at 6am.  I hope for my surgeon's sake that after my nine-hour surgery, I am his only 'case' of the day. He is going to need a sandwich and a beer after he's done with me.  In any case, my plan is to take another swimmer's advice- Dory the fish from Finding Nemo- "Just keep swimming."

BTW- My surgeon's plan (other than a large breakfast) is Plan A.  There is a shadow on the MRI that the radiologist is unable to confirm as not cancer. So, to be safe and not have to go back in later, they are going with the bigger surgery.  Just keep swimming...and praying!

Comments

  1. Ann,
    As you prepare for this surgery, know that you are in the hearts of so many of us. We are praying for your healing.

    God bless you and your family.

    Peace of Christ be with you.

    My Love,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, I will be praying for you and the Doctors and your family. I know that all will be well. God Bless you all.
    Love Cosha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stand in awe of you, Ann. Such courage, such capacity for eloquent expression of your feelings on the eve of this very difficult surgery is nothing short of amazing. My prayers are with you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers are abundant for you Ann!!! All my love and many blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep up the faith...and in your scared-ness , (at 6 a.m. tired, cold, vulnerable...), there is the Lord (which i know u know..) but very strongly keep slowly praying as u fall asleep & scared will be for the Lord to hold away from u as he blesses you and your "team" and all WILL be well.
    Luv u girl-you are in my thoughts & prayers--STRONGLY!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann,
    I agree with the anonymous comments, to see your courage written so eloquently gives us all hope. Hang in there, you and your family are in our prayers.
    God's speed in your healing,
    Deanna Hallman

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the peace and quiet of our soles comes often strength and courage, this I am sure of Ann. I will pray for you hard tonight and for the next few weeks, praying the surgon is sucessful and that infection is nutralized.... The rest is up to you and I know with the heart, and knowledge that your girls and John are with you, every breath of the way, you will recover to enjoy many more great dinners at Artisanal and view with your family and friends La Baigneuse... God Bless you and your example of what life means..... I'm humbled by your capacity, love and determination.... xoxo Colt

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Everyone!

    Mom has just finished surgery and she did fantastically! The surgeon says her leg is "cancer free"!!

    Thank you all so much for your prayers!

    Anna Graham

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is terific news from Anna. Now we will pray for a speedy recovery and a very happy 2011. xoKathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank YOU Jesus!
    Thank YOU Anna for sharing the good news.
    Please give mom my warmest aloha with a tight hug and a wet kiss.
    2011 Is a wonderful year INDEED!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts