Chemotastic Is Not a Real Word for A Reason

My surgery and subsequent healing of the surgical site is going so well as of my last appointment with my surgeon on Jan 17th, that it was decided we could move my chemo up a week to January 18-21st.  Yes, the next day.

I should start this post with a Debbie Downer alert.  The great surgery and healing part of the news was the good part of the last two weeks.   Prior to starting chemo, I was nauseous and vomiting.  It turns out that the strong antibiotics I have been on for my leg had eaten through all of the good bacteria in my stomach, leaving it raw.  I got a reprieve from my surgeon from the antibiotics (since I couldn't keep it down anyway) for a few days.  

Chemo started the next day (Jan 18th).  In addition to the antibiotic nausea, I feel nauseous just pulling up to the hospital, most everyone does who has the misfortune of being in my same situation.  The closest thing I can relate it to, is walking into a place where you know you are going to get beat up, how it is going to happen, how it will feel, and having to walk through the doors anyway.  

This was round four of nine chemotherapy treatments, so I have a pretty good idea of how it goes. When I arrive for chemo at 8am, it usually does not start until 1pm or so.  This time is used for hydrating, pumping in the anti-side effect treatments, and any number of fluids going in before we start the big guns.

I got the hydration, but not the anti-nausea meds, or this one particular magical medicine that puts a block on my stomach lining receptors.  Without it, the chemotherapy is easily absorbed into my stomach lining and held there.  After discussing with several staff members our concern about the amount of vomiting, we found that the hospital has a new protocol for getting anti-nausea meds going.  New protocol failed. 

It has been a very rough two weeks since.  One of the biggest bummers is that I could not keep my pain meds down either.  I literally went through a cold, sweaty, chilly, hot withdraw from Oxycontin.  After a particularly rough night on Sunday, I went to the local hospital Monday for some IV Hydration and steroids which really helped me turn the corner.  

In the middle of this nausea drama, our dear Oscar passed away.  Oscar was our Boxer whom we got from Northern California Boxer Rescue in 2000.  When we got him, they estimated his age at 3.  He had been found wandering the streets of San Francisco.  The pound called the Boxer Rescue organization and put him in a foster family where he lived until we got him.  He was such a lovely, loyal part of our family, with a very soft spot for Emily.  He was Emily's dog, and Emily took very good care of him, right up until the very end.  In the sadness of losing our lovely Oscar, I cannot express how proud I am of how Emily handled the trauma of the night he died.  He suffered several seizures, with unpleasant and scary side effects starting at about 7pm.  She called John to come home, googled what to do, and directed the rest of us in our duties.  When John got home, she went to the vet with him and saw him through to the end that night.  Our veterinarian said they had never seen a 14 year old boxer before.  We had never seen one as sweet and lovely as he.  We know he is in heaven.

Next week we find out if there is another chemotherapy to be added.  The post-surgery pathology of my tibia showed a 60% necrosis of the tumor, which is really great.  However, my doctor would have preferred something closer to 90% necrosis.  The chemo that is possibly to be added is called High Dose Methotrexate.  This treatment would require another week in NYC every month.  So my regular chemo would be Monday through Thursday/Friday, and the Methotrexate (MTX) would start the following (or previous depending on the week) Monday through Thursday.  I am not, nor is anyone else to be sure, looking forward to the effect that this added week may have on well, everything.  

However, if the Doctors tell us that this is the way to go, we will do it.  While I am currently cancer free technically (no evidence of disease) post-surgery,  Osteosarcoma, with its dandelion effect can surprise  us and we have to take every opportunity to wipe it our completely.  I really hope MTX is not going to happen, will keep you posted.

Chemotastic is not a real word for a reason.  Aside from its noble and powerful mission to kill cancer, its side effects really are undesirable.  In an effort to stop the nausea, some really big medications were at my disposal recently -they are mostly anti-depressants - where the side effect (and why I am taking it) is anti-nausea.  The good part about this is that I may be throwing up, but I will be happy about it! :)

Thanks for checking on me, emailing, cooking, calling or praying - I believe I have turned the corner now (God willing) on this nausea.  Next round of chemo is February 7th. 

Comments

  1. Ann my heart goes out to you and your family. Am so very sorry to hear that this has been so hard on you. The loss of your boxer to top it off, I am so so sorry. They become such a big part of our families. God Bless you all and know that you are always in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so amazingly strong, Ann. Sorry about Oscar. Emily sounds like a chip off the old block - she has great role models in you and John. Hang in there, Dear Friend and know you are in our hearts.

    The Gaines Girls

    ReplyDelete
  3. Methotrexate ugg all meds above, actually mega ugg. :(
    Ann, all bad cells are being destroyed! Good cells will all come back with a blast! I am glad the dr is on the "dandelion" alert, sounds like monitoring you within every inch of your strong body. I am glad.
    I know it seems like the nausea/sickness with NEVER end...but you will get through it. Just try to rest at ALL possible time for some strength....
    I am sorry for you all losing Oscar, sounds like he was quite the dog :( but glad that he was around for quite some time.
    water-sleep-water-sleep

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello my precious Ann,
    It always amazes me how your posts just lift me up - and to think you are doing so much for others while you are suffering....A Godly woman you surely are.
    I am sorry to hear about your beautiful Oscar. Ah it's hard to believe that his job within your family is done, and he will service your family from heaven. The circle of neverending love, is so remarkable. As I look at Emily, I too am so proud of her. She is a rock - and she learned that from you and John, and how you are managing this awful time in your life. I am praying that the nausea will be minimal, and that you will be releived with the medication you are given. I pray Dear Jesus, that all Ann's chemo treatments will do as it is supposed to and to completely remove this cancer from Ann's precious body, in Jesus' I pray. As Father Pete would say, "God love ya", and He sure does. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ann - Michael & I think about you always. Keep up the good work. You will definitely best this thing yet. Don't think about the side effects; only think about getting better and better.

    God bless you. And much love

    Susan Mintzer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts