Toxic

Toxic

Today is the first day of chemotherapy treatment.  I woke up this morning humming Britney Spears 'Toxic.'  Very funny, God.  It's nice to know the Big Guy has a great sense of humor, AND enjoys Britney Spears.  

It wasn't all comedy this morning.  A little update first - yesterday I had a temporary 'port' placed.  This device is placed just under my left clavicle bone, with tubes that connect directly into my veins.  The goal of this device is to have instant, direct access to my veins without having to go through my arm every time.  It is a much more comfortable and safe way to deliver chemo and whatever other drugs they want to give me.  We planned on this procedure taking the morning yesterday, long story short, it didn't. It was a very long -mentally, emotionally, and physically- day.  We got back to the hotel at 7:00pm.

I travel by wheelchair for any distance greater than walking across the room.  When I do walk across the room, it is with crutches.  Before we left the hospital last night, they gave me a backpack with IV fluids in it and hooked me up for overnight hydration before my big chemo day today.  
While absentmindedly humming 'Toxic,' my extraordinary husband pushed me through the streets of NYC to my favorite breakfast place, Le Pain Quotidien - YUM!  Once there, and fully um....hydrated, I had to go potty.  On my long journey to the back of the restaurant, my crutches pushing against yesterday's surgical site, new backpack and accompanying tubes looping out under my shirt, and some interested stares from morning diners, I cried.  

I came back to our table and sat down and cried more.  Our poor waitress!  I cried because things are getting harder.  Just this silly walk to the back of the restaurant was painful and tedious.  It was a moment of realization that this, and many other small tasks have gotten hard to do.  The 'cried-some-more' part was that in a few hours I was due to receive not one, but two chemo treatments.  This was not the end of things getting harder.  It was the beginning of it.

My legit Belgian Waffle, small bowl of latte, and my favorite person sitting across from me, made things better. We left Le Pain with a 'Let's Go Kick Cancer's Ass" refrain, and felt better for it.  Toxic started humming in head again.  

This particular cancer gets not one, but three chemotherapy treatments over about eight months to evict it.  I have completed the first treatment Doxirubicin about 30 minutes ago.  The second, Cisplatin is infusing now, along with some other meds to combat the negative effects of the chemo.  So, I am toxic.  The good thing is that I (through these mac-daddy meds) am toxic to the cancer.  The cancer will go away, and I will not.  I am stronger than the cancer.                    

Comments

  1. Ann you are in my prayers every day....told my mom and dad about your situation and they told me to send you their love and prayers. If there is anything we can do please please let us know..you will beat this!!! We are having a healing Mass sometime in November and I will be there for you....God Bless and keep up the great attitude....love to the family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay stong! & yes cancer will go away NOT u ;) LUV

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such a powerful amount of love that surrounds you.. there is no way you WON'T win this battle! You are so strong and have the most amazing optimism and "look on the bright side" kind of attitude. That is something that will keep you going through anything you come across. I hope you know that even if i am all the way across the country i wish i was there with you to hold your hand. <3 i love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great minds think alike before even reading this blog I read the title Toxic and just started humming Brit!

    I laughed, I cried, I cried some more than I smiled! U are totally gonna kick cancers ass and I love to read about your journey to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first song my ipod played me this morning was Toxic! I am not even joking! Amazing! So we can come to the conclusion that not only does He have a sense of humor, He is consistent!

    I love reading your blog. I have been looking for it and looking for it the last few days and I am so glad to have seen it today. Knowing that you are as awesome as you are helps so much!

    I love you lots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such a brave and remarkable person-which we all knew!
    I love you and send lots of hugs, kisses, and prayers:)
    Thank you for sharing your journey with all of us who love you and pray for you everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such an amazing person, and when you cry I cry too. I too look forward to your posts. I look for you several times a day also. I ask God to bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aloha! Sending you our warmest wishes of a speedy recovery! We will keep you in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michael & I also read your posts eagerly, and look forward to the next and the next, etc. You write so well!! How you can make your treatment so interesting is beyond me! You are a very brave, and insightful person and I know that you will come out of this, an even better person (if that's possible). You WILL beat it - there is no doubt in my mind!! We so much look forward to seeing you over the new year - happy and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you made it through your first Chemo treatment. Fear of the unknown is over and you can fight the next two treatments whith the knowlege that you kicked butt on the first one. Just say the word and I will come up and sit with you for your next one. In the meantime, I am praying for your continued strength. You are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sending hugs & prayers. thank you for blogging.you are amazing!(stay close to Him and He'll carry you through this:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your writing is as beautiful as you are. You, John and the girls are in our constant prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aunt Ann, we are all thinking of you and praying for you. Keep that positive mindset! You can and will beat this! Just hang in there and remember: though every day may not feel like it's getting better, it's one day closer to you beating this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "THe power of prayer"...there is none that can top it. Keep trusting in the Lord He will carry you tenderly every single day. As my mom says this too shall pass, albeit like a kidney stone. If there is anything we can do now or in the upcoming months just say the word. We pray for you everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Miss Sunshine!

    I know from experience that this week may be a haze for you, so sleep as much of it away as possible. I'm not sure what your chemo concoction includes for your treatment, but I am guessing that things will feel a little on the 'normal' again in the next few days.

    When you feel better, please let us know if there is anything that we can do to help. You are continuously in thoughts, for I know where you are now.

    I had five grueling treatments and finally endured my final treatment in tears...so while it may feel like the loneliest period, please know that you are never alone. Your friends and family are here to provide you with as much strength as you need.

    Get some rest now....

    Love and aloha,
    <3 Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello my proud sister girl,

    When you feel like you are alone and no one else can understand your pain, close your eyes and picture Him on the cross. Tell him He is not alone and you can feel His pain...He will carry you through this He will lighten your load. He will make the time go by and bring you back home to us.

    Oh yeah, and besides you get to go in the short line, directly to heaven if you have cancer, when your really REALLY old, NOT now.

    We love you girl even if you think you are radioactive-toxic girl.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts