Shoes

I used to have lots of shoes.  Shoes that went on my feet at the end of my legs that used to match (the shoes and the legs).  My legs don't match anymore in color, hardware, ability or shape.  But, back to the shoes....

These are the kinds of shoes I used to have;

Errand Shoes - for things like trips to the salon to get my hair done.  I don't need these anymore since I don't have hair.  These same shoes I would wear to the grocery store.  I still have groceries, but other people get them now.  

Sandals - to get my nails done, so the polish wouldn't smudge.
When my white cell count is low, when I am sick, when I am in active treatment, I cannot get a manicure or pedicure due to the high danger of a fungal infection.  That would be unthinkably bad with a compromised immune system.

Running Shoes - I used to complain about running, but it was really blissful - true free time to turn on my iPod and go.  I can't run anymore - for life.  My new leg has it's limits, and that is clearly limit number one.

Work Shoes - for my really cool job planning the important events of people's lives.  When my oncologist told me osteosarcoma is debilitating on every level, and I wouldn't be able to work, I thought, "Ha!  You don't know me, I am going to work through this." HA! Was on me.  That, he would tell me, is why he gets 'the big bucks' he knows these things.

House Shoes - for cooking in, for spontaneous dancing, tidying my house and generally walking around and sneaking up on my kids in.  I still have them, but only one fits, the other foot is too swollen from leg surgeries.

Fancy Shoes - for formal events and going to dinner in.  My fancy shoes are tucked away now, they will have to be replaced with fancy flats.

I now have two pair of shoes that I wear.  They are woefully practical, and guaranteed to make me blend in with the hospital set.  But, hey - what else would a bald headed woman with mismatched legs, unpolished nails, and no place to go (but the hospital) wear on her feet?

My most important and joyful shoes are my Mom shoes.  I still have these, always will. Since my world has slowed down significantly, I get to spend the time I am not in the hospital, blissfully undistracted from my vocation of motherhood.  

Lately, our daughters mother me more than I wish they had to.  They make dinner, tidy the house, bring me treats, open and hold doors for me, and make sure I don't fall down stairs. But, I am still the Mom of these insightful, compassionate, extraordinary young women that have, and continue, to exceed our dreams on every level.  I happily trade in any and all shoes for the privilege of wearing my Mom shoes.  

This Mother's Day, I honor these three girls that gave me the greatest gift in life, my life as their mother.  The love my daughters give me every day is love defined, unflattering shoes, mismatched legs and all.

Comments

  1. I'm tearing up. In addition to being the wonderful woman and mother that you are, you should be a writer, Mrs. Graham.

    I'm continuously touched by your insight and strength. A million hugs and kisses your way!

    -Ashlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother's Day, Mom!

    The way in which you have approached this battle has made you even more of an amazing mom than you were before! You have inspired the three of us through your love, hope and faith in the face of this great obstacle. You are kicking butt and wearing those shoes better than ever!

    We are a family, we will always be here for each other to take care of and hold doors open and cook. (Plus, you never really did like to cook!!)

    I'll be home soon Mamacita!

    Love,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Angel, you are wonderful. I couldn't wear my butt-kicking shoes so good without you!

    I love you!
    Mom

    Ashlie,
    You inspire me with your faith and hope. A million kisses and hugs right back at ya!
    Love,
    Mrs. G.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Words have become u, i agree u should write-WRITE a book! I will buy it! Happy beautiful Mother's Day A! As for shoes......we were born without these.....how about a pretty ankle bracelet to match the pretty wedding ring adorned on your finger signifying the love of your husband & family who are so very dear to your heart! And u have beautiful legs ;) whoot whoo! (attempt at a whistle lol)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw this blog post on Emily's facebook. I miss both her and Grace very much, now that I'm not at NCS. They are both excellent and amazing girls (I'm sure your eldest daughter is great too, just don't know her) But of course excellent daughters learn to be excellent from their mothers. I am sending warm hugs and prayers! I know you've got the spirit and strength to beat this! -Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Mother's Day Ann,
    Wow that note brought me to tears. I thought instantly that I couldn't "walk in your shoes" as gracefully as gratefully as you too. YOUR shoes can only fit you, but your heart fits all of us. Your daughters and husband must be so proud to have you as the nucleus of your family. You cause such a positive ripple effect with your love, humor, and pure, pure, joy for life and those you love. Someday, I promise, WE will put on some dancing SHOES, and PARTY!!!
    God Bless you and of all the mother's I have known and loved, YOU are TOPS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful words Ann. You are amazing. I do not know if I could deal with all you are and have your courage and grace. God Bless you always. Prayers out to all of you. Have a wonderful Mother's Day

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ann,
    There is a lot of love around you.... Inhale it all and hug John and those great girls. You too somehow continue to draw more and more love toward you, and it is so rationally offered, and then "you" put all the little parts into perspective.... I loved this one on the "shoes" because there is now spring and humor to go along with the love.... We pray every night for you and your family.... xoxoxo Colt & Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you SO much for such kind words, really it gets me through the next and next rounds.

    This next round will be round eight out of nine. Next week we are in NYC for "8A" HD Methotrexate, and the following week we are home for "8B" regular chemo.

    We are avoiding the term "light at the end of the tunnel" for obvious reasons :D. Just looking forward to being finished with the treatments and cancer in general.

    With love, your very appreciated kind prayers, and hope we will all get through this!

    WIth Love and Gratitude,
    A

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts