Normal

I love normal.  Normal is the world you make. It is the day-to-day life that you have worked to have.  I never wished to be a celebrity, or someone who gets  interrupted by passerby, or worse be stalked or photographed by someone unknown to you.  My normal life was lovely and delightfully chaotic -the girls, their school schedule, the dogs, my work, breakfast out with my husband a few times during the week, dinner with the family, bedtime kisses, tucking-in, sleeping in my own bed.  My normal was far from perfect, and certainly had more days out of balance than I would have liked.  Work winning the time battle was always stressful.  Trying to balance my home, family, friends, and work was a daily internal tug-o'-war, but it was my normal. 

Cancer obliterates normal in ways unimaginable.  I was listening to a boy at MSK today saying his Make-A-Wish would be to get back to school, sports, friends and his own house.  Everyday, all of that stuff that he loved to complain about, and loved to love.  The girl he was talking to said she'd make that same wish, she did not want to be a full-time patient anymore.  They miss their normal.  

The cancer journey is a tough one on just about every level, but I am grateful that I get to have the chance to travel it.  Before we left home for NYC on Sunday, I heard on the news that a man around my age was driving home when a tree fell across the road, struck him in his car and he died.  That is a tragedy.  In an instant, without the time or ability to fight, he was gone.  A phone call to his family by a stranger and normal is changed forever for them.  No time to prepare, or even say goodbye.     
  
I really miss my old normal.  My old normal did not involve being bald, crutches, lab tests, surgeries, and perhaps the hardest thing, seeing my family and friends worry about me, adjust their schedules and lives around my doctor and hospital visits, and generally sacrifice their own normal. As a Mother, I am happy and capable in the role and duties of caretaker, but to be the one being cared and adjusted for is humbling.  

I am immeasurably grateful to have the chance to fight this fight, to be shown love, to have great doctors, to have family and friends that care enough to be there for me in ways that surprise me and warm my soul.  But the loss of normal is one of the hardest losses to accept, as it affects everyone I love and their own, beloved normal.

Thank you for reading my blog and enduring my ramblings.  Thank you most of all for interrupting your normal to make my new normal more familiar by being on this strange journey with me.  

          

Comments

  1. U can interupt my normal any day Ann Graham! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be grateful and in this fight is a beautiful gift. You always remind me to do the same; not only in your blog, but in how you live you life. You are a great mother, and I am grateful to have you to inspire me everyday.

    Also, I dont think there is any real normal. Life is an ever changing being that never comes to normal. The challenges that we face and overcome and grow from are the normal. This challenge, that life has given us, will do the same. We will grow and learn and love more because of this challenge. You are right, you have so many people here, in your life, that are going to help and love and grow as well.

    If God puts you to it, the God will get you through it <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love reading your blog. You are loved and being prayed for every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Ann,
    You don't know me but I sure do know you. My daughter Maureen worked with you and John at the Point for a year or so and fell in love with your both. So many times she would come home to Long Lake or call and tell of your lives- the girls and dogs and especially you. She admires you greatly and has sent me the link to your blog - as I have been diagnosed with ovarian cancer and will start chemo at Plattsburg Hosp in December. You are a love and I shall forever be your admirerer.
    Mary Jo Flanagan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning my friend. Well, like I said before, you sure convict me with every blog, and though I am 17 years your senior, I learn something with each post. For this one, I learned that I am an ungrateful person who became bored with her 'normal'. Ahh, as I read your note I started to cry, for you and then for me. Thank YOU my darling. I am so sad that you are suffering, but like Jesus' suffering was to save the world, your suffering is going to save many just like me. God love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gift this blog is! Here you are, in the midst of a devastating cancer that has horrific treatments, and you write with such calm, dignity, grace, &
    humor. You lament the loss of your normal & I truly understand that. Yet,
    for those of us in normal, you give to us such a gift and that is to treasure
    what we have rather than whining about the inconsequential. Thank you from someone who does not know you, but wishes she did. You write with a clarity and honesty that allows those following this blog to experience
    something of this unwanted journey right beside you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mrs. Flanagan - I am pretty darn sure I know you - you raised a very kind, compassionate, funny, and smart daughter who loves her family so much. We fell in love with her! I do know you, because I know what a wonderful woman you raised. She will be a great advocate for you in your victory over cancer. Anytime you need a stop over on the way to Fletcher Allen or P'burgh, just say the word, you have a home here, too. I am your admierer for your work as a mother <3! Call anytime.
    A

    Anonymous - Thanks for your kind words :)

    Anna - I love you. I don't have big enough words to tell you how proud I am of you being my daughter.

    Mrs. D - I miss you. Thank you. I love you tons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ann,
    best wishes and a happy new year.
    Ole Dr. Sex Wax
    (aka Brin Rebstein)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts