Pau Hana - Week One

Pau Hana is one very happy refrain (pau (pron. pow) means finished, and Hana means work) in Hawaiian.  In fact, when properly combined with the 'Aloha Friday' song, one could incite an actual, full blown, luau in downtown Honolulu.  It doesn't take much, especially on a Friday afternoon when everyone is wearing 'Aloha Wear -floral muu muus and aloha shirts -anyway.    

Last Friday, I finished my first week of chemotherapy.  I think the 'therapy' word is deliberately in there to reflect the need for therapy in the week following the chemo.  Happily, I had some therapy in the form of my two little (okay, medium) girls coming to NYC for the weekend.  The weekend did not in ANY way resemble what a normal weekend in the city would look like for us.  Specifically, the focus was not on our next delicious meal or sumptuous cupcake.  The weekend is definitely a blur, thanks to some take-home meds, but I know for sure that feeling two of my three girls in my vicinity was the best therapy at any price.

The girls are back at school now, and I am in bed in NYC hugging my pillow, trying not to throw up after a long follow-up day at MSK yesterday.  The main goal of yesterday was to get my 'counts.'.  White cell counts, specifically - this would tell us how well I am able to fight infection.  If white cell counts are low, I can't fight off infection.  My counts were good!  YAY!  Another count to be taken tomorrow.           

I'm going to try and sleep now.  I'm not sure how much one person can take of Hoda and Kathie Lee interviewing 'The Situation'- the prevailing thought at NBC seems to be four hours, this Pau Hana time needs revisiting.  

Until next time -pau.         

Comments

  1. Keep up the fight Ann, one day at a time. I'm now following your blog therefore I will keep in touch. <3 Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much love and prayers coming your way....God Bless Love Cosha and family

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched that same train wreck interveiw! I really enjoyed when Kathie-Lee went "crazy mom" on the Situation, scolding him and exclaiming, "I don't want my daughter to be a grenade!!" (Anyone else notice that Kathie-Lee herself is a bit of a grenade?)

    Also, I can't wait to be pau hanas with all of this so that we can go to Hawaii and have that Luau! We will do all of our favorite things (mainly the above mentioned planning of our next delicious meal)!

    It is so great to read what you are doing and feeling. It gives me a bit of peace to see your silver linings, read your good news, and pray for the bad things to go away. You are an inspiration to me everyday!

    Love You Lots,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pray that next week will be better and pray that your labs will work in your favor.
    We send our warmest aloha and sunshine, from beautiful Hawaii, just for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always I am reading the blog and wishing I was closer. I was in Lake Placid this weekend couldnt drag myself to the lodge because had I gone I think I would have sat there and cried cause you werent there. Have I mentioned I miss you like crazy and the Graham Fam.

    You should be happy You did not have to witness all the costumes in LP and more than one person dressed up like the situation and the kardashians!
    Miss u sending lots of love your way! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Already one week.... Take on day at a time and time will evaporate....xoxo Colt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ann - Michael & I think of you every day, and I KNOW that you will be well and healthy when this is over!! Please hang in there, and do not be discouraged - all this love that you feel from your friends and family will heal you. Can't wait to give you a hug when next we see you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts