The World is a Better Place


Today is Veteran’s Day.  Veterans are the men and women who can authentically lay claim to having made the world a better place for all humanity.  Thank you is not adequate.

My Great Uncles whom I never knew, served this country in the first and second World Wars, my Uncle served in Korea and my Brother-In-Law served in the Army.  I feel such deep gratitude and respect for them.  By all accounts, these men did not, and in my Uncle’s case- do not speak about medals earned, or exactly what happened during their time of service.  I know they served this country nobly and with honor.

When John was running a hotel in South Carolina, we had a young man that was a Marine reservist working with us.  His unit got called to active duty in Iraq.  At the same time, one of our dearest friend’s son was called to active duty in Iraq as well.

We sent them care packages and told them that every night, our family held hands and said a prayer for them at dinnertime.  The funny thing is, both got back to us to please pray for their entire unit, not just for them individually.   One was serving in the Marines, one in the Army, from different places, and the message was the same.  What a great, sincere and self-less message!   This is service for the greater good on a core level.

I get to benefit from the military in several ways. 

I have freedom.  Freedom to get whatever job someone will have me for, or have my own company.  Freedom from fear that I am unsafe in my own country, freedom to write a blog!  Freedom to say what I wish, vote and pray as I believe.  The list is long, and hopefully familiar.

My hair started falling out on Monday, by Tuesday, it was really in full swing.  My great friend (and hairstylist) came over to sort me out.  We started with a pixie cut, but with chunks of hair still randomly releasing from my skull, we thought it best to go shorter still.  At the end of an emotional hair cutting journey, I have a legit GI Jane 'do.  In an odd way, it feels better.  Like I am battle-ready, without the distraction of hair.  That my hair is falling out reminds me the chemo is working.   My Brother-In-Law (who served in the military) also shaved his head as promised.  One of my oldest friends who is serving as a big cheese in the military, said we now share the same 'do and assured me that it is a 'Bad Ass' look.  Well, I do have some jungle gym scars that are now visible, making me look totally 'gangsta,' in a Valley-Girl kind of way.  

I will be having “Limb Salvage Surgery” in late December.   My upper tibia, knee, and part of my fibula will be replaced with some prosthetic material.  Once chemotherapy has shrunk the tumor adequately, they will remove the affected bone.  Kind of like a knee replacement surgery – just add in the top 1/3 of my tibia, some knee, and a little fibula.  I am certain that methods and materials used in this upcoming (and dreaded) surgery were pioneered on service men and women returning from battle.

Finally, when we say our prayers at night, and my family says “God Bless Mommy,” I take a cue from our friends who served and add in my own prayer for those I am battling cancer right alongside.  The ones I am praying for are 10-17 year olds who share their pediatric floor with this 43 year old.  Please add them to your prayers as well.

Thank you brave and noble veterans, you have changed the world for the better in many ways, great and small.  

Comments

  1. You are such a brave lady. I am sure you are rocking the GI Jane look so much better than Demi!

    I miss you and pray for you everynight.
    My hair is getting so long I can't wait to cut it off and donate it in honor of you and your journey to kick cancers ass!

    XOXO You are one of the most caring people I know and so selfless thinking of the Vets when you have so much on your plate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love reading your blog Ann...You are in our prayers!!! I always thought Demi looked cool in her GI Jane do....you are so much prettier than she is so you must rock!!!! Love and Prayers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Ann for sharing your blog. You are a very special person for thinking of other people. You heart is bigger than this world!! You and all who are battling cancer will be in my prayers asking the our Heavenly Father to place his healing hands on everyone for a speedy recovery!! Prayer chain coming you way!!! Love Anela!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann...your blog is inspirational. Thoughts & prayers are with you. May the Lord bless you and heal you. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOU ARE A REMARKABLE WOMAN YOU KNOW? I CRIED FOR YOUR HAIR LOSS, AND THEN CRIED BECAUSE YOU ARE SO BRAVE AND ARE ALWAYS THINKING OF OTHERS. MY PRAYER IS THAT WE WILL CELEBRATE YOU YEAR AFTER YEAR, WHEN YOU BECOME A CANCER 'VETERAN'. THANK YOU TOO FOR YOUR PRAYERS FOR OTHERS....GOD BLESS YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Ann,

    I have been reading your blog. You are an excellent write. Gives me chills! Maybe because we have so much in common! I kept a blog as well during my journey! Stay strong and know that you will soon be NED ( NO EVIDENCE OF DISEASE)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts