GI Jane

This morning on the Today Show, there was a story about a woman with Breast Cancer.  Her treatment involved chemo, and the requisite losing of hair.  She decided to take matters into her own hands and have a 'head shaving party.'  

As a career Event Planner, I believe that just about any reason is reason enough for a party.  Except this one.  This event as an actual party, was wildly unappealing on so many levels.  Still, I watched.

The morose party shuffled in and got comfortable as the shears came out and the hostess took her seat.  Knowing I am about to undergo this same fate - the shaving my head part - not the party-about-it part, I was interested to see what this might look and feel Iike.  

I was totally composed watching the whole thing go down, until she got up, walked by the mirror and cried.  I lost it.  I have cried since being diagnosed, in one to two minute increments, but not like at that moment - lost IT!  This was such a deep, undeniably sad moment, the moment of absolute LOSS.  Not about to happen loss, not someday loss, but it-is- finished kind of loss.  Ugh!

Then it was over.  I pulled it together and thought, 'quit being such a victim.'.  As India Arie wisely points out in her music - I am not my hair!  As I point out to my (incredibly beautiful-inside and out) daughters, beauty comes from the inside!  What the heck - it's gonna grow back, and in the meantime, I'm gonna get me some sweet hats and scarves!  

I also decided that I was gonna be more GI Jane than cancer-girl!  I do love me a good girl-power movie, what is better than Demi Moore giving everything she's got to be a Navy Seal?  You Go Girl!!!  She shaved her own damn head-without tears, regret, or an audience.  She did it because it was going to make her stronger, faster, undistracted, and a better warrior in a fight she wanted to win.

My head shaving will be in a week or two.  My brother-in-law has promised to come along, and in an impressive show of solidarity, shave his head too.  All of this just in time for Halloween.  I was thinking of going as a Hare Krishna, but now I am definitely thinking GI jANNe.  

   

Comments

  1. Oh, Mom! I was just thinking about this for you, and it made me so sad to think that you would be sad about it.
    But, you are my mom and you are so incredible, and so awesome! I just, can't even believe your strength! You are such an amazing woman!
    You inspire me every day to be as strong as you are.
    I love you so, so darn much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like mother, like daughter - in strength, love and spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are in my prayers every day!! May God continue to give you the strength you need to get through this.....love and prayers Cosha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im crying like a baby just reading this than I get the I am woman hear me roar feeling. Miss u like crazy! always in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GI - God Infused
    J- Jesus
    A- and
    N- Ann
    E- Extraordinare

    I think you are more like Annie in the movie "Annie". YOU just have that inner sunshine.... So, get yourself a red curly wig, and start singing.....

    The sun'll come out
    Tomorrow
    Bet your bottom dollar
    That tomorrow
    There'll be sun!
    Just thinkin' about
    Tomorrow
    Clears away the cobwebs,
    And the sorrow
    'Til there's none!
    When I'm stuck a day
    That's gray,
    And lonely,
    I just stick out my chin
    And Grin,
    And Say,
    Oh
    The sun'll come out
    Tomorrow
    So ya gotta hang on
    'Til tomorrow
    Come what may
    Tomorrow!
    Tomorrow!
    I love ya
    Tomorrow!
    You're always
    A day
    A way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts