Hats & Jammies

A few days ago, I wrote The Top Ten Best Things About Cancer. There are more to add. Comfort and Love in the form of hats and jammies and food.

With the express verbal consent (dare I say - encouragement ?) of my oncologist, my sister, brother-in-law and are having leisurely days of eating delicious foods. The doctor strongly suggested that I eat whatever I want, and as much of it as I want. Coming from an oncologist, I felt some apprehension, maybe akin to asking a death-row prisoner what he really wants to eat, when he, well you know... Then I go over it. Calories, fat, and restraint be damned! I thought, hey this sounds Like a Top Ten item if I ever heard one! Let them eat cupcakes!

We have been doing more than eating though, there is also shopping! My new dress code will fall squarely into two categories, 1. yoga wear and 2. jammies, both with hats. So to add to the gluttony, we spent the day at the mall seeking the perfect pair of jammies (check), and a slammin' hat (check). Yoga gear is covered. The best part of the shopping day was a delightful stop at Gymboree. Looking for the perfect ensemble for the much anticipated birth of my niece (ETA early January), was a taste of heaven. Just imagining this little person fitting into the impossibly tiny shirts and socks with giraffes and bunnies printed on them was joy, joy, joy!

The eating, shopping and chatting are done with no time restraint. This was both supernaturally un-natural and totally, liberatingly lovely.

Embracing a new normal is never an easy task for anyone. My new normal hasn't even hit what normal will be yet. One thing I do know, I will be wearing comfortable clothes and cute hats!

Comments

  1. Love you Ann....I know things will be ok...you are always in my thoughts and prayers...it is great how you are looking at the bright side of things in this impossible situation!! God Bless you and your family always. If I can do anything please let me know....I could fly out and be with you if you need. Let me know

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love jammie day!!!! Somedays I stay in them all day and just put on a fresh pair at night to begin the cycle all over. So excited about Katie's new baby. And bonus, I'ts a girl!!! You know how to do girls! What a sweet distraction. I love your sense of humor and positive attitude. I have heard that both are keys in a fight like yours as well as faith and I do know that you have that department covered. I so enjoy your blogs as it helps me feel a little closer to my dear friend. Hope it goes well today. Okay, that sounds like an oxymoron. "Hey, Hope your Chemo is fun" Knowing you we will hear about a newfound silver lining about hanging out there. Keep the faith and give Katie my best. Hard to believe she is going to be a mom. I still see her as a kindergartener with her little Maryknoll uniform.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh a slumber party in the near future. I will stay in jammies until 11:00 this Saturday in your honor. xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts