The Yellow-ish Brick Road and Meandering Thoughts

Today I am getting ready for my trip to NYC.  I have LOTS of appointments at Sloan Kettering on Friday.  My sister Katie has taken off of work and is spending the day with me at the hospital, dashing from appointment to appointment.  I can't tell you how grateful I am for this sister of mine.  She and her husband are ALWAYS there for us.   

This day of fun and frolic ahead of us at MSK/Oz (Memorial Sloan Kettering) will be to get lots of baseline stuff documented. The chemo cocktail that I will be having - that somehow sounds delicious and relaxing- has lots of nasty side effects (not so delicious/relaxing anymore).  My hearing, heart, bladder, kidneys, and some other essential organ that I can't remember right now, are all in danger of the effects of the one-person internal Chernobyl I am about to endure.  Happily, the good folks at MSK are all about protecting these parts that I have come to rely on.  

As we go down our yellow brick road of treatment, they will continue to test me and adjust meds as needed to keep these parts going.  For the first round of chemo, starting on Monday, the doctors have asked that we stay in NYC for two weeks so they can monitor my tolerance to the chemo.  I am quite happy to honor this request.  Except for being away from the girls, home and dogs, I would really hate to be having a problem of any size and be so far away from Oz. 

Totally off-topic, I just read a statistic that Adult Osteosarcoma (which is quite rare) affects Chinese men in Hawaii the most IN THE WORLD!  How crazy is that?  I'm thinking - I am from Hawaii, I love Hawaiian-Chinese food, and although I am not a man, I do know lots of Chinese men in Hawaii!  Coincidence?  Ummm, I guess not much of one.  Still, when you go searching for the 'Why' even when you are told there really is none, this bit of statistics was kind of oddly familiar (?).

I am not looking for the "Why Me?" by the way.  You might just as well ask "Why not me?"  There is not a proven genetic, behavioral, or environmental factor that you can blame this on, particularly for adults. Dorothy did not choose her tornado, but she beat the witch and found her way home.   I did not choose this battle, that is for sure, but since it found me I will have to battle it and find my way back to health.  

Here's to Dorothy (and Oz)! 






Comments

  1. Beat that Witch! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that u are blogging about Wizard of Oz. A. Because I love that movie
    B. Because your so optimistic
    C. Ironic Henry looks a lot like Toto
    D. BEcause I dont think your children have seen this movie and JG isnt very found of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Close you eyes and tap your heels together three times. And think to yourself, there's no place like home... ...I'm on the yellow brick road to recovery ~ ♥Hugs♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Wizard of Oz! I can't believe the irony. I am going to an annual Halloween Party on Saturday night with some girlfriends as all our husbands will be at the Auburn LSU game. We are going as the "Sexy OZ girls" I am the Lion and I will bring you courage as you embark on your journey! You are in my prayers daily! Thanks for blogging. I am with you in spirit but if you need someone to watch Oprah with I can fly up for a day or two. I know the next few weeks are going to be a challenge but if ANYONE can beat this it is you! Aloha my friend! Jenn (ps, are you watching the new season of Hawaii Five-)? The scenery is fabulous!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you have visitors in NY? Would love to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dorthy (Ann), you are so wonderful to start so positive...i took the scared ;)*&^* -less route to begin....then became positive. U are already light years ahead!!!!!!!!
    WATER ;) Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lil Dot (my name for you),
    I am so sorry that you have to go through this. It just boggles my mind, especially after John's adventure with cancer.
    It also verifies that God works in mysterious ways, and to try and figure out why He is using you to reach those of us with the on again and off again relationship with Jesus, I don't know. But, your disease sure got my attention, and I am faithful and praying like crazy.
    Why bad things happen to good people, is even more heart wrenching and mind boggling....especially with the likes of you and John.

    I asked God to take this cancer from you - and would take if for you if I could. I have abused this body is so many ugly ways, and then I turn 60 - go figure. I believe you will beat this Ann, and promise to pray hard. I also made a vow to speak less in my prayers, and to try and listen for God's response. I will keep you posted on that. I did realize just now (God speaking?) that your name means "gracious", and you have accepted your fate graciously.
    Think of me when you need to cry and then cry hard.
    It relieves the pressure like farting does for Portugues women.
    I love you so very much. MA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow you guys! Thank you. I need you. Love,
    A

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are on the yellow brick road - starting an incredible journey. I will be thinking and praying for you all day today. God has his arms wrapped around you, so be strong. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. You do not know me Ann, & I got to your blog by way of a dear friend who knows you well & can't get her computer to work, so I read from your blog to her over the phone. Tears were streaming from our eyes. What a courageous woman you are to bear this journey with such a generous heart. Your good humor in the face of of this horrific disease is nothing short of amazing and may your faith, the love & support of your family & friends always help to lighten the burden you bear.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts